Sunday, April 6, 2008

Still the One 6 April 2008

Luke 24:13-49
Easter 3
Sunday, 6 April 2008

Disappointment is always uncomfortable, but it is nearly unbearable when you have pinned all of your hopes on one person or one possibility. In the face of break ups, deaths, illnesses, layoffs, failures, shortages, infidelity and the myriad other disappointments humans regularly experience, we all struggle with the choice of what to do next. The most resilient of us hope to hope again.

In the text, two of Jesus' disciples are traveling from Jerusalem to Emmaus. The timing of their journey is curious. It is Easter evening and the news has gotten around that Jesus has risen, but these two disciples do not remain in town even to see him. It seems that the disappointment of his crucifixion, dashing their most treasured hope that he would be Israel's redeemer,is too hurtful for quick recovery even after the astounding and incredible testimony about the resurrection. With their heads down, they head out of the city. While they walk, Jesus appears alongside them. He shows up! Notice his compassion as he hears them out in their sorrow and complaint. Imagine how it sounds to him to hear them speak of their hope in the past tense. "We used to believe that he was the one." But he does not condemn them. The rest of the text is about their healing, the reclamation and restoration of hope. In his teaching and in reaking bread, but mostly in the pure presence of Jesus as he walks with them they discover that he's still the one.

Occasionally, life throws all of us curve balls, and out of nowhere we are struck with crushing disappointment that shakes us to our core. Like the two disciples, we hit the road with a destination in mind but also with a deep unsettledness as we try to regroup and allow an alternative hope to spring forth. In these seasons, beloved, expect Jesus to draw near and walk alongside. Pay attention while he speaks; feel your heart burn with recognition. Jesus may not look exactly like he did before the heartbreak, but he's still the only one to pin your hopes on.

Sing, "I Want Jesus to Walk with Me" or "Abide With Me 'Tis Eventide" (to hear this hymn sung beautifully by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir click here.)

Let us pray:
Blessed Savior, our most fervent prayer is that you would walk with us through the days of our lives and abide with us in the evening. We know that you hear our sorrows and our complaints and that in compassion you draw near to us. Forgive us for speaking of our hope in the past tense. Kindle anew the fire in our hearts and by your presence reclaim and restore our hopes. You are still the only one who can. Amen

5 comments:

elciem said...

The past three devotions have been especially poignant for me due to my state of mind. I have undergone many challenges and often wonder why? Today, my challenge is not why but to accept that it just is. Since it just is the next thought is just what you pose: What to do next. Sometimes I hear God telling me to stand still and sometimes, like now, I don't hear God at all. How do I know what the next steps are when sometimes the devastation just has me so bound that there seems to be no where to go but stand still. Is this just the fear of taking another step because the challenges continue to confront me? And so I try in the face of this adversity to try to hope again. I know God is there and I know he's the one but...how to let go and let God so there is hope again?

Unknown said...

Elciem,

Thanks for commenting. I was convinced that no one was reading. Are you someone I know and I just can't figure out the screen name? Whether you are or aren't, I'll be lifting you up in prayer.
L

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Greetings in Jesus Christ and blessings unto you, Dr. Callahan,

If you think no one is reading your teaching, I beg to differ. Oh yes, we ARE reading.

I think that people don't comment because your writing is so poignant sometimes, that we read your writing and just exhale and sit still with God.

Some blog visitors are also a bit intimidated. Even ministers wrestle with their Nicodemus issues when they encounter a fellow priest with a deep reservoir.

When I read your remark that you didn't think people were reading, God forced me to say something! (I reluctantly obeyed...)

Peace, Blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

elciem said...

Yes, I am someone you know. Thanks so much for your continued prayers because they are greatly needed. I look forward to reading your devotions daily. They are inspirational and quite often in line with where God is directing me. Thank you for continuing to be used by God and never doubt that they are being read.

Revvy Rev said...

Yes we ARE reading but also listening to the voice of God, being strengthened, and allowing the message to accomplish its inward task while we enjoy it. I anxiously look forward to this devotion each morning without fail. Do not let the silence and stillness cause you to misinterpret the effect. For me, your devotions are an immense support in helping me to prepare to preach each week and walk closely with the Lord each day.