Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Big "If" 8 April 2008

Exodus 19:1-16
Tuesday, 8 April 2008

Since you're reading this meditation, I suspect that you have already discovered that the price of adulthood far outweighs the perks. I still remember what it was like to wish for the day when I would be an adult, when I could make my own decisions. When I had no responsibility, I longed for more choices. Now that I have to live with the choices I make, choosing is more of burden than I anticipated. Now I know that actions have consequences.

Today's reading comes from my favorite book in the Old Testament, the book of Exodus. Moses has succeeded in leading the children of Israel out of Egypt, into the wilderness, on the way to the Promised Land. After roughly two months of freedom, God engages the people in a conversation with Moses as the intermediary. After recounting the loving favor that God has extended to the Israelites, God then makes clear the need for the people to make a choice with the understanding that the choice will have specific consequences. "Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples." No more are they like children to take their blessings for granted. No more can they expect their errors to be overlooked.

Too often we want the privileges of spiritual maturity without taking on the responsibilities. Church people fancy ourselves to be God's treasured possession, holy nation, and priestly kingdom without committing ourselves to obeying God's voice. We want all the perks that God has promised without the investment of ourselves that we are called to make. We are free in Christ to enjoy abundant life, if we trust the leading of the loving God who has borne us this far on eagles' wings. If we obey God's voice the life of freedom and choice is limitless. But that's the big "if".

Sing, "Trust and Obey"

Loving God, we thank you for having freed us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Help us to live up to all that you have promised us through obedience to your will and fellowship in your Spirit. Wash and sanctify us for fuller and more fruitful relationship with you, we pray in Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: