Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Learning to Pray

Matthew 6:7-15
Tuesday, 22 April 2008

Few things are as irritating as having a person criticize your actions or ideas without offering an alternative. "How could I improve my performance?", you ask. "I don't know; I just don't like the way you do it now." And the only thing worse than having a peer do this to you, is to have a teacher be so unhelpful.

Jesus not only gives his disciples instructions on "how not to pray;" he teaches them how to pray. There is much in the lesson of the "Lord's prayer" for us to consider, but two aspects of the prayer stand out in my reading of it today. The first is that Jesus wants his disciples to pray always for and with one another. Even if I am at home alone, when I say "Our Father," I join myself with all of God's other children around the world and even throughout all the ages. I care as much about my sister's daily bread as I care about my own. I am as interested in my brother's being forgiven as I am in being forgiven myself. In addition to the communal concern that is expressed in the prayer, Jesus also demonstrates God's holistic interest in human beings. Our worship of God's holy name is connected to our prayer for God's will and God's kingdom which is also connected to our need for daily food. Nothing in our lives is outside of God's loving concern for us all.

As we pray, we learn that we are our brother and sister's keeper. We hold each other in prayer as we pray in the pattern that Jesus teaches in contrast to the misguided petitions we would offer without his guidance. We also discover that when our hearts are turned heavenward we see God's absolute provision for all of our needs - spiritual, emotional, and physical.

Sing, "The Lord's Prayer"

Pray the Lord's prayer.

No comments: