Monday, March 17, 2008

Off the Chain

Mark 11:12-25
Monday, 17 March 2008

Have you ever known a person in one context and then struggled to reconcile yourself to seeing a different side of him or her? I remember when I was a child how strange I felt whenever I saw my teachers outside of the classroom. When I ran into them at the grocery store or at the gas station or even sometimes in church, I was always startled. I had my teachers in a box and I couldn't imagine them outside of it, even when I witnessed it.

Jesus' behavior throughout the Gospel of Mark has been utterly consistent. He teaches with authority; crowds follow him; detractors criticize him; disciples misunderstand him. But he always behaves with equanimity. Having grown used to Jesus as we have seen him, this passage takes us by surprise. He curses a fig tree for lacking fruit, even though it is not the season for figs. Then he enters the temple and wreaks havoc, turning over tables and blocking the passage of merchants and customers. "My house shall be a house of prayer." This is not Jesus meek and mild. This is Jesus off the chain, outside of the box. His critics boil with hatred. The fig tree withers under his curse. His disciples are agape. This is the first sign that all is not well, even after Palm Sunday's celebration.

We have to acknowledge that the Jesus we see in this text is not the Jesus we are used to. He's way too forceful, not nearly peaceable enough. And then there's the problem of all of the merchandise he destroyed. Yet occurring on Monday of Holy Week, this scene reminds us that all is not sweetness. Judgment too is on Christ's agenda. God will not excuse our fruitlessness or unforgiveness. We cannot misuse the gifts of God or the people of God. Still, we needn't be afraid. We need only to believe.

Sing, "My Faith Looks Up to Thee"

Let us pray:
Loving God, we approach you with thanksgiving for your mercy, for the provision you have made for our escape from your wrath. Forgive us, Lord, for the ways in which we sometimes forget why we are here and what church (your house) is for. Restore us to faithfulness and fruitfulness, so that we might be pleasing to you and a blessing to your people, in Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: