Friday, February 8, 2008

It's My Turn 8 February 2008

Ezekiel 18
Friday, 8 February 2008

There is no question about it; I am definitely an extrovert. Unlike some of my closest friends, I find the presence of other people energizing and focusing rather than draining and distracting. This reminds me of another thing that I like about Lent, that is, the fact that I am not the only one on the journey. I am accompanied by a host of people, neighbor and stranger, known and unknown, of different languages, races, and stations. All over the world believers are contemplating the meaning of Christ's passion for the world and for our lives. But I am not fooled. Although I have treasured companions on the journey, the walk itself is intensely personal.

In today's lesson, God has striking words for the prophet Ezekiel, disputing and condemning the tendency to identify spiritual status on the basis of relationships with other people, particularly in one's family. In Israel there was a proverb,"The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge" intended to confirm for parents just how deep their responsibility goes. To be sure, the actions of parents profoundly affect the destiny of children, just as the community with whom we ally ourselves makes an indelible impact on us as individuals. But God refused to allow a determinism that would keep one person either from being held accountable or from being exonerated because of their relationship with another individual. The soul that sins is the soul that is condemned. Even so, the text concludes with the assurance that it is not God's will that any should perish. God has no pleasure in our condemnation or death. Indeed God's entire intention, made known to us in Jesus Christ, is for all of us to turn and live.

Journeying together as family, friends, and community can never replace the need for each of us in solitude to make our calling and election sure. Introvert or extrovert, each of us must step up for our turn, our moment of repentance when we signal by our changed behavior our intention to follow Jesus. And so while I appreciate the company in the season, I am determined to take my turn, whether anyone joins me or not.

Sing "Standing in the Need of Prayer"

Pray Psalm 139

No comments: