Sunday, February 17, 2008

Faith Counts 17 February 2008

Romans 4:1-17
Lent 2
Sunday, 17 February 2008

I learned a lot of wonderful phrases when I lived in New York. One of my favorites was a retort used to signal useless or valueless opinions and information: "That [information or opinion] and a $2.00 will get you a ride on the subway." I usually used it in a self-deprecating way, when I would offer someone advice. I'd give them my best guess and then I'd say, "But that and $2.00 will get you a ride on the subway."

Romans is one of Paul's most purely theological letters. In it he lays out the foundation of the faith and explains what it means and what it costs to be a Christian. In the Romans 4, Paul returns to the ancestor of the faith and the faithful, Abraham. In the midst of his discussion (v. 3) he quotes one of most astounding verses of scripture from Genesis 15:6, "Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness." What makes this verse so striking is that it asserts something God and God's relationship with human beings that we ought always to remember, that is, that God loves us so much that the little we can offer (namely, our trust and faith) mean everything to God. Our faith may not be worth a lot to other people but it counts for everything with God.

The truth is that we all spend a lot of time trying to figure out whether what we say, know, think, and believe mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Many of us are surrounded by people who dismiss us, our ideas, and commitments. How wonderful it is to know that God, who has invested so much in giving us Jesus Christ the Son of God, embraces and counts what we have to offer back -- our faith.

Sing, "My Faith Looks up to Thee"

Pray Psalm 25

No comments: